Monday, November 29, 2010

An Attitude of Graditude

Yesterday we attended church in Josh's parents ward! During sacrament, Josh's dad (Don)spoke! In his talk he quoted the words of our prophet, Pres. Thomas S. Monson, from the last general conference a couple months ago, about having an "attitude of gratitude!" After being reminded of these words yesterday, I have thought a lot about what it means to have an attitude of gratitude! During this time of year, it seems easier to express our gratitude! But gratitude should be much more important than to have an "attitude of gratitude" once a year! President Monson stated, "sincerely giving thanks not only helps us recognize our blessings, but it also unlocks the doors of heaven and helps us feel God's love." President Gordon B. Hinckley once said, "when you walk with gratitude, you do not walk with arrogance and conceit and egotism, you walk with a spirit of thanksgiving that is becoming to you and will bless your life." During this day and age it is often times easy for us focus on what we lack, rather than on what we have and those blessings we have been given. "Regardless of our circumstances, each of us has much to be grateful for if we will but pause and contemplate our blessings. This is a wonderful time to be on earth. While there is much that is wrong in the world today, there are many things that are right and good. Our lives are blessed in countless ways!" President Joseph F. Smith said, "The grateful man sees so much in the world to be thankful for, and with him the good outweighs the evil. Love overpowers jealousy, and light drives darkness out of his life. Pride destroys our gratitude and sets up selfishness in its place. How much happier we are in the presence of a grateful and loving soul, and how careful we should be to cultivate, through the medium of a prayerful life, thankful attitude toward God and man!" As I have thought about gratitude, I have realized that those things that I am most grateful for, are the things money cannot buy. And sadly they are probably the things I most often take for granted. As I look back over the past few years there have been many times when I have wondered why certain things have happened to me, instead of being grateful for the lessons I have learned and the blessings I have received! And I have been greatly blessed in so many ways! I was born and raised in an amazing family, with parents who love the Lord and taught me the gospel, how to pray, the importance of family, and many other things. A Dad who passed on his love of softball to me, and taught me all he knew and expected the best out of me! A Mom who has been my best friend, and example of how to love others! Brothers who have taught me lots and who I adore! Grandparents who have also taught me many things and who were always there for me! Aunts, Uncles and cousins who have all shown me so much love! And not only have I been blessed with one amazing family, but two! I couldn't have picked a better family to marry into! A mother-in-law who has become a great friend to me, and is always willing to help in any way! A father-in-law who is a wonderful example to me of how to turn to the Lord for help! I have an incredible husband who has taught me what it means to be strong, and how to overcome trials, and has been by my side through my own struggles and trials! He is also an example of how to truly love and care for others, as he is always thinking of those around him! He has also provided our family with a warm home to live in and food to eat! And I am indeed grateful for his hard work and the opportunity he has to go to work, when so many are out of jobs! A daughter who I adore and teaches me patience everyday :) A son who is an answer to so many prayers, and taught me to have faith in the Lord and trust in His plan! For the opportunity I have to be a parent! I am thankful for the priesthood and the blessing it brings to our home! I am thankful for temples and all the many blessings they bring us! I am so very thankful to be sealed to my family and the opportunity we have to be together forever! I have also been blessed with health! Which is something I have learned to never take for granted, after the trials my dad has been faced with! And I am so very thankful for his improving health and strength and only pray it continues! For all of my friends who I have made over the years! For our ward family here, who are always here for us whenever we may need them! I am grateful for a loving Father in Heaven and for our Savior, Jesus Christ, who have blessed me with countless blessings! I am truly grateful for the gospel for the truth it has brought to my life! And as the new year comes I hope that I can display and "attitude of gratitude" throughout the year, not just during this holiday season! Because I truly do have much to be grateful for, as I have been greatly blessed in so many ways!
And some pictures just for your enjoyment! I took these off of Annie's blog! They are just too funny! These are of us playing some Minute To Win It games at our family reunion in July!

Josh playing "chocolate unicorn" (stacking ding dongs on his forehead)

Josh catapulting marshmallows using a paper plate and broom, and me catching them in a cup! And yes I was 6 months pregnant!

Me playing nose dive (transferring cotton balls from one bowl to another using Vaseline on my nose)

Me playing "junk in the trunk" (shaking ping pong balls out of an empty Kleenex box strapped to my bum)

Josh playing "junk in the trunk"

No comments:

Post a Comment